Saturday, June 20, 2009

A long final day . . .


Well the walkings over folks!! Due to Naomi's retirement (which she was absolutely gutted about) I decided to complete the walk today rather than in the morning. Todays distance was 26.5 miles with 4990 feet of ascent. Naomi, Robin, Laura & Sarah met me at the 2nd road crossing on Torside where I eventually abanoded the fell shoes (see 'weapons of mass destruction' post) and wore my old boots for the second half of the day! They plied me with chocolate and coffee and I set off for the finish. On the final descent into Edale I became quite emotional. The shear relief of not having to walk another step along the Pennine Way fueled these feelings. So some 4 and a bit hours after seeing the gang, I hobbled into Edale on a sunny and busy Saturday afternoon - I looked everywhere for the welcoming party - but to no avail. I celebrated quietly on my own with a bottle of Newcastle Brown and then headed off for the train station where I caught a train back to New Mills. Better get my speech prepared now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment